HSF - iFB meeting notes, Dec 3, 2014

Agenda and material:  https://indico.cern.ch/event/355946/

Torre presented the slides with the progress on behalf of the startup team. Here is a very quick summary of the main points:

  • Added two more members to the startup team (Brett Viren, Amber Boehnlein)
  • Meetings and presentations to experiments (LHCb, ATLAS, CMS) and the WLCG (GDB, OB)
  • Mailing lists
    • the community-wide mailing list is slowly growing (~100 people)
    • we should encourage all our colleagues to register to the list. It is quite straight forward by just sending a mail.
  • Website
    • Everybody has now an editor ‘role’. Each one can create content for all  HSF types (events, software, institute,..).
    • Everything is maintained with revisions and backups, so is open to people to make improvements, corrections, adding extra information, and so on.
    • Drupal is currently used for everything. 
    • We are evaluating a new way to provide the software catalog. Brett Viren has been playing with semantic-mediawiki to build the catalog as a relational database. Preparing a prototype to evaluate the new tool. It could be that we end with an hybrid system with Drupal and Wiki.
  • White Paper Analysis
    • Version 1.0 was released on November 11
    • Both, as summary white papers and a collective position of the startup team.
    • The list of activities and services (things that HSF could do or provide) has been made separately of the synthesis document.
  • Contacts 
    • Wanted to have a bit more formal discussions with the various communities. Divided the work of organizing meetings.
    • Got already some feedback. 
    • Handling letters of support. Too early but HSF materials can be used to help them to make their case. It would be nice if we keep a reference of projects proposals willing to participate with HSF to help forming possible collaborations.
  • Focus Areas and Activities/Services
    • Creating a questionnaire to guide presentations and discussions at the SLAC WS.
  • Workshop preparation
    • The minimal registration will be 50$. Additionally the diner, lunches, etc. The SLAC guesthouse reservation is now working.
    • Very close to get the official approval (thanksgiving holidays didn’t help)
    • Shown workshop goals and preliminary agenda skeleton
  • Timeline for the startup team until the WS in SLAC

 

Open discussion:

  • John Harvey. What about the event at CHEP? A BOF session was somehow foreseen. The plenary program of CHEP is a bit biassed towards computing and less on software. We need to schedule a HSF session at a convenient time. We should contact Hiroshi to see the options. We need to make sure that we have a room. Richard will organize a meeting with Hiroshi since he is at CERN this week.  
  • Jeff Templon. Other sciences are in general worried about the career for people in software. This is also important for us. Suggest to invite people to the SLAC WS. Perhaps we should approach the UK Software Sustainability Institute and invite them to the WS. 
  • Sami Kama. What about inviting exa-scale directed efforts to the WS. We should build contacts with them, but we do not expect a lot at this current phase of the Foundation. 
  • John Harvey. We should have a meeting on January 7th. There is general agreement, and we keep the slot at 4pm. 
  • The startup team would have liked to have more feedback on the synthesis document. We could have it as well on the January 7th. 
    • Liz Sexton-Kenedy had some comments on the document. There is some contradiction in the executive summary about funding for projects and personnel, and then later in the document. This requires some re-phrasing or clarification. The Foundation will not provide, at least at the beginning,  funds for development projects but it may require effort to run some of the activities or services. Currently we get the support from our organizations on a best effort basis. 
  • John Harvey. What is the purpose of the questionnaire and to whom it is addressed. It is to get a quantitative survey on what the foundation should be focussing and what services to be provided, as well as to guide the users and projects on their presentations at the workshop. 
  • Concerning the ancillary meetings at the workshop.The iFB should reserve Thursday morning for the post-mortem and digestion of the conclusions of the WS.